Don’t be a fonkin! Follow this blog for regular posts of quality Greyhawk fiction and adaptations. Greyhawkstories collects Flanaess lore published online, in magazines and journals like Dragon Magazine, Dungeon, Oerth Journal, excerpts from longer works like Gord the Rogue, episodes from Living Greyhawk, and narrative retellings of adventures set in the world of Greyhawk. And we are just getting started.
Here’s an overview of what I have collected so far.
Tales from the Green Dragon
Tales from the Green Dragon includes fiction and short narrative backgrounds originally published in Oerth Journal. Click here to read the stories.
Dungeon and Dragon Magazine
Stories set in the World of Greyhawk were published in Dungeon Magazine and Dragon Magazine. These stories remain under copyright, but we can provide summaries, pertinent information, or at least web-links for those who want to find the story. If you know of a Greyhawk story that appeared in print in one of those magazines, let me know. Click here to see a list of Greyhawk short-fiction that appeared in periodicals.
The world of Greyhawk is home to a host of famous Non Player Characters, both heroes and villains. Fiction about Greyhawk’s famous NPCs and excerpts from larger works that offer them description and color can be collated here. If you have tale that should be included, let me know. Click here to visit the growing Rogues Gallery.
Beginning with Gary Gygax’s Gord the Rogue series, several novels are set in the World of Greyhawk. Not all of that material should be considered strictly canonical for the history of the world, but all of it is entertaining. Click here for a list of Greyhawk novels.
The Greyhawk Wars
War! The flood gates of evil have opened, and the dark armies of Iuz have poured forth. The Great Kingdom totters and collapses under the weight of its own corruption. A new menace rises in the Pomarj, and giants descend from the Crystalmist Mountains. Click here for stories of battles in the World of Greyhawk including the The Official History of the Greyhawk Wars.
The Living Greyhawk campaigns spawned an enormous amount of creativity. If you have tales from the Living Greyhawk Era which should be told or have access to resources containing narrative elements from those campaigns, let me know. This section is coming soon. For now, get started by ordering this summary of Living Greyhawk campaigns in the Bandit Kingdoms.
Original Stories, Novels, Module and Campaign Adaptations
- Against the Cult of the Reptile God. Something is rotten in the village of Orlane, and Father Tabor is on the job to uncover the source. Click here to read my short-novel adaptation of a classic 1st Edition Greyhawk module.
- Daoud’s Wondrous Lanthorn (and Other Tales). The story of the creator of one of the Flanaess’ most famous magical items takes you on a magic carpet ride through the inner planes. Click here to read my 1001 Nights-style version of the story of Daoud of Tusmit.
- The Dragon’s Rest. Take a trip to a famous innhouse in the city of Verbobonc where the guests seek clues to the whereabouts of a green dragon’s treasure hoard in the Gnarley Forest. Click here to read The Dragon’s Rest.
- Iggwilv: Mother of Witches. Few characters have left such a scar on the history of the Flanaess or been the cause of so much woe. Click here to read my developing folk-tale version of the story of Iggwilv.
- It Started in Saltmarsh. Rumors about the Ghosts of Saltmarsh have kept the locals away from the evil alchemist’s abandoned mansion, but one group of misfit adventurers is determined to reveal its sinister secret. Click here to read Kirt Wackford’s campaign adaptation of this classic 1st Edition Greyhawk module.
Quality Fan Fiction
The World of Greyhawk inspires creative writing. Send me yours and, if it’s worthy, I’ll post it here.
- Castle Greyhawk. A graphic novel adaptation of a novella by Scott Casper illustrated by Mike Bridges, Castle Greyhawk is based on the adventures of many famous D&D characters from Gary Gygax’s original home campaign. Come see the likes of Tenser, Robilar, Terik, Yrag, Mordenkainen, and Ehlissa, as they plumb the depths of the famous dungeon or get into trouble on the streets of Greyhawk itself! Click here to read from the beginning.
- Two decades ago, the prolific Jason Zavoda posted a series of Greyhawk novels on the Greytalk List Server. Click here for the collection to read The Bow of Haladan, The Light of Pelor’s Keep, Nosnra’s Saga, Minstrel Tales and Songs, and An Unsung Death In Geoff.